Steel reinforcement are steel bars that are provided in combination with plain cement concrete to make it reinforced concrete. Hence these structures form steel reinforced cement concrete structure (R.C.C).
Rebars (reinforcing bars) is usually formed from ridged carbon steel; the ridges give frictional adhesion to the concrete. Whilst any material with sufficient tensile strength could conceivably be used to reinforce concrete, steel is used in concrete as they have similar coefficients of thermal expansion. This means that a concrete structural member reinforced with steel will experience minimal stress as a result of differential expansions of the two interconnected materials due to temperature changes.
The steel used in UK reinforced concrete utilises 100% recycled scrap steel as feedstock. At the end of its life, all reinforcing steel can be recovered, recycled and used again.
Reinforcement mesh is a hugely versatile reinforcement product, being widely used for a variety of applications. It is predominantly used as reinforcing fabric in concrete slabs; being immersed in concrete and vastly increasing the structural rigidity of a construction. Steel mesh fabric has a similar coefficient of thermal expansion to concrete, meaning that with temperature fluctuations, both concrete the steel embedded in it expand and contract at similar rates. This makes it an ideal material to help reinforce concrete structures.
Advantages of Steel Reinforcement
Steel reinforcement is a reinforcing choice compared to other reinforcing materials due to its unique advantages. They are:
- Compatibility with Concrete: The fresh concrete is placed on the formwork mold already prepared with reinforcement. The steel reinforcement won’t float in concrete during the concrete placing procedure. Hence, steel reinforcement does not demand special tying up with formworks.
- Robustness of Steel Reinforcement: The steel bars are robust in nature that they have the ability to withstand the rigors, the wear and tear during the construction activities.
- Bent Property of Steel Reinforcement: The steel bars once manufactured to standard size, it can be bent to the required specifications. Hence fabricated steel bars are delivered easily at the site.
- Recycling Property: The steel reinforced left over after the service life of a structure is recycled again and used for new construction.
- Easily Available: Every region of a country will have a steel supplier or manufacturer. Hence steel reinforcement is easily available.